Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Bruce Herman

Several years ago I happened to be visiting Northwestern College. As an art major there I spend many hours in the gallery and thought on this return visit to my alma mater I should pay a visit to this sacred space of beauty. I was not prepared for what I encountered there. This was my first interaction with Bruce Herman's work. I was stunned by the figures...the colors...the gold leafing...the luminous layers of paint. I was struck by what seemed to be classical figures amidst classical geometric structures surrounding the bodies. I sat and sketched several that morning.

Since then, I have noticed his work showing up more and more frequently. Regent Seminary, for a long time and perhaps still does, have one of his paintings worked into their webdesign. CIVA and other publications routinely draw upon his work.

Visit his website.