Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Threshold: A Photographic Inquiry













This semester I am pursuing an independent study in photography on the idea of the threshold. Essentially this means that I am shooting a lot of pictures of doors and windows.

Philosophically the idea of threshold is an interesting one intimately related to place, ritual and o/Otherness. These are my driving ideas behind this series. (I also find it fitting that this class is in essence the threshold to this new pursuit of a MFA).












Visually I am learning to articulate what I am seeing through the lens. I am finding that my attempts are to reduce or abstract elements from the larger architectural whole into austere geometry, line, rhythm, and color fields. I find ruptures in pattern especially interesting.