Friday, May 8, 2009

Commodified Memory Composites



This is the highlight of the series...an unintended turn mid project that added to the confused direction for a while. My project initially suggested a tie between humanity and material culture through our memory. My task was to photograph second hand material culture suggesting an implicit tie to memory. While I appreciated the formal visual nature of the image and the challenge of documenting this culture, it felt incomplete. In my efforts to understand this emerging project I returned over and over the language of narrative. It occured to me that a narrative needs either teller or hearer, or in the case of visual a viewer. I began a series of contextual photographs in the style of Joel Sternfeld and Alec Soth to make the connection between consumer and consumable explicit.