Wednesday, June 3, 2009

PKAP Field Photos

Tuesday we spent the day at the sites. Leaving Petrou at 730 until around noon and then back after the heat had begun to pass at 230-700. This was my first visit to the various sites and was given tours by the various trench and project supervisors. I spent most of my day at Vigla, an upper plain overlooking the sea. It is an impressive site topologically, not to mention the ancient debris fields and ruins underneath my feet.





One of the most astounding things for me is the sheer amount of pottery sherds on the ground. I sat down and simply picked up the pieces within reach of my arms without even stretching. Here are some common and fine-ware pieces. The large longer one on the heal of my hand is handle with a black slip.




Here Brandon Olson, a PhD student at Penn State is a trench supervisor takes depth readings and relays them to a Messiah College student. This trench had a productive day with significant pottery finds. Near the end of the day, they had located the bedrock on the north side of the the wall.

The light, while beautiful, is difficult for photography. We are forced to lift a sheet to cover the trench to get an accurate photograph of it.


I spent much of the day near Brandon's trench. Here they sift through the dirt, remove rocks, pottery, mica, bone, or anything else that might show up that needs cataloguing for later review.